Tuesday, March 9

truth #27: love your neighbor... and his dog

Rrrauuggraugraugraug raug....  Better than the roosters crow, the next door neighbor's dog sounds the wake up call.  Unfortunately this alarm doesn't have a snooze button.  I cannot count the numerous times I have laid in my bed thinking up ways to murder the dog that lives under my second story bedroom window.  Crossbow with flaming arrows, poisoned meat, a half ton of sleeping pills... my bare hands...  This isn't just any breed of dog, it has been born with built in loud speakers and a barking switch that doesn't turn off until a full 20 minutes has been reached and can go off at any given moment.  Skype conversations have been interrupted because they cannot hear me above the dog.  My boss who lives across the street tells me that they can hear this little beast of horror.  The time that I went to my next door neighbors house to ask if they would make the dog be quiet because I had a terrible migraine... the kind neighbor-lady gave me a headache pill and sympathized with how annoying the creature was with his endless barking. 

Then last week, after nine months of living next to this sleep stealer, I was sitting on my bed reading my bible and off he went.. Raaauug raugraug raugraugraug.. Murderous thoughts once again began to build in my yet-coffee-deprived brain, when through the racket God spoke to me, -Love your neighbor Tabitha.  
-WHAT?  You have got to be kidding God!  I do love my neighbors, look at the work that I am doing with the orphans, kids in the hospital, giving of myself every day!  This barking dog is an injustice, it is inconsiderate and just plain rude! 
Then even softer, "Tabitha, love your neighbor, this neighbor."

Love cannot pick and choose.  I cannot say that I love but only love those who are easy to love.  This neighbor and their dog is an allegory for me.  I cannot say that I love my neighbor and hate his dog, because really hating his dog means I think things towards my neighbor like "What idiot gets and dog and never trains it", basically very uncharitable and leads to hating my neighbor.  It is the same with the people I am around who have annoying traits or are doing things that hurt me.  It means not just loving the kids in the orphanage and hospital but going out and giving soup to the fathers who live on the streets in a life of alcohol and drugs.

Just last Thursday evening we were out serving soup when four young girls approached the car with the soup taking the bowls and bread that we offered.  I was standing near and started up a conversation with them.  We talked about where they lived and what they were up to, just the basics, when one of the little girls leans in to say softly to me "You do know that you are giving soup to theives? Everyone here is a thief."  I just smiled slightly as I began to explain to her that we all have bad things in our lives but the beauty of it all is that no one is soo bad that God cannot love them, like a little girl who doesn't always obey her mom or a drug addict throwing his family to the side or even a neighbor with a really annoying dog.

6 comments:

Bro. Lyn said...

Hey, Tabitha! Just wanted you to know I'm praying for you! I will especially pray for your headaches. I also am praying for God to use your parents in a mighty way when they come soon. God really spoke to me through your blog about some neighbors with whom I need to go "the extra mile." Lissa and I love you so much and are so proud of the great work you are doing in Ecuador. God is using you in a mighty way!

Anonymous said...

Hola Tabitha, wow, gracias por compartir de tus vivencias en mi tierra, y comparto contigo lo de los perros aqui en Ecuador, de veras que hay algunos que se pasan y los vecinos no hacen nada por controlarlos, uno debe aprender a vivir con eso aqui y es cierto lo que las escrituras nos dicen acerca de amar a nuestro prójimo, y mucho mas fuerte lo que dice Juan en las epístolas, acerca del que dice amar a Dios y no ama a su hermano, el tal es mentiroso..., gracias a Dios porque su palabra nos enseña, corrige e instruye a ser no solo oidores sino hacedores de la misma. Realmente espero que Dios sea aliviando todo "headache" producto de los ladridos o de los dias difíciles que a veces tenemos en Ecuador, recuerda las palabras de Jesús en Mateo 11:28 "Venid a mi los que estais trabajados y cansados que Yo os haré descansar", anhelo y voy a estar orando para que Dios pueda hacer reposar tu vida y descansar quietamente aun en medio de todo el alto ruido que puedas tener alrededor, pues Él conoce mejor que yo, la labor ardua que desempeñas durante el día, así que adelante en Dios. Un abrazo. Freddy González

Anonymous said...

"Love me, love my dog," says the proverb. Jesus says, "Love me, love my bride, the church" (Eph. 5:25-27). God says, "Love me, love my children" (1 Jn. 3:11-18; 4:19-21). In fact, since we are to love and do good even to evil people who treat us badly (Mt. 5:43-48; Rom. 12:17-21), we should be forebearing toward those who annoy us. Anger, bitterness, resentment, bearing grudges, and nursing hurts and offenses--real or imagined--are incompatible with a heart that is forgiven and forgiving (Eph. 4:31-32; Col. 3:12-15). How we all need to be led and filled by the Spirit in order to become like Jesus and fulfill his law of love (Gal. 5:16-6:5)!
Freddy's right: we need to learn to live with irritations--whether in a foreign land or at home. May God give you love, wisdom and strength for your work, and a rested, quiet heart in the midst of distracting "noise."
Hope you have a good time with your parents.
Dave

ErinW said...

What a great story for us all! I'm so glad that you are open to God teaching you new things. I'll keep praying for you.

Maybe I could mail you some dog chews? That could keep the dog busy for a bit.

Lyndsay Holly said...

I would just like for you to know that I was rolling laughing in the "Starbuck's wannabe" while I was reading about this dog....then your word about loving your neighbor and his dog even was such a great message. I need to remember to love even the unlovable...even the people I don't think about loving with Christ's love. Thanks for the reminder Tabita! Wouldn't it be cool if we got to work together someday? :D (Just a thought.)

Heather said...

Tabita! Time is drawing nearer and nearer! Eddie now officially has his passport! No vaccinations yet! I do love your humor! I definately agree that you should love your neighbor. I think the best way to do that would be to murder the mutt with your bare hands and take that stress away from her. You know, stress causes lots of different illnesses. You would be doing her a favor! HE HE HE HE HE! I'm sure your having a busy week with mom and dad there. Can't wait to see you! Nogito is excited to meet Aunt Tabby! Thanks for the reminder of why we do what we do! (Missions) Love you! See you soon!