Thursday, September 8

¿Hablas Español?

I decided that I was not busy enough so it was time to add something new.  SPANISH CLASSES!!  I have only taken one class in literature since finishing my basics in February 2009.. Most people who hear me speak spanish say that I speak well, that is until they begin to listen to the grammar!  Anyone that knows me realizes that I like to speak, and if I am quiet there is something wrong.  This has helped my language skills immensely.  But is also means that I have picked up the local accent after speaking for so long without correction.  Some might say that is it great but when I tell you that the local accent here sounds a bit like innercity slang in the states, you might change your mind.

The obvious thing to do after deciding that you want more classes is to go and take the test to see which class you will end up in.  Ok, I have to admit that the perfectionist in me was thinking, "oh great,  even after 3 years of speaking spanish they are going to put in the basic class because of my grammar.." I was on pins and needles to find out what really is my Spanish level!  Then came the email, "We are inviting you to join in the Spanish for Forigners Program in the Intermediate II class."  YAY!!  I don't speak like a kindergartener!!  This class includes a lot of studies in the subjunctive form and contiditional, which is good cause I avoid using them (we don't really have subjunctive in English).

I am taking the class every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:30pm to 6:30pm.  Becuase of this I have to rearrange my work schedule a bit.  For my first day, yesterday, I left my office at 3pm on the dot.  First, I took the city bus #12 and then the Metrovia.  The Metrovia is a innercity bus a bit like a subway but in bus form.  In my three year in Ecuador I have not had much reason to take the metrovia.  There are several reasons to avoid it if you can.  #1 it is always packed.  When I say packed, I mean you are touching at least five people at all times on all sides unless you are blessed and get to stand next to the wall, then it is only three people pressing into you.  #2 at 3:30pm it is hot, bright sun, and no airconditioning.... a hundred people packed in... you get the picture.  #3 it has the highest percentage of pick pocketing than any other place, as everyone is always touching someone. #4 when I get on alone, I am the only natural blonde in the whole bus..  Thankfully my stop is the second one after I get on the metrovia! 

I was greeted to the university by a little iguana on the wall.  I meet my teacher, Janett and my fellow student, Iris from the Netherlands. It feels a little strange to be back in classes, it reminds me of my time at Dallas Baptist University.  I even start to put my clothes out the night before as I did in University, as I am going in to work earlier thus getting up earlier.  And anyone who has seen me in the morning would know why I shouldnt trust my judgment directly after waking up.  In my class, we had a mini-debate in spanish.  Iris and I had to choose a profession and then debate which of two would have to jump off of the balloon so it wouldn't pop.  Instead of choosing typical profession she decided to be the Queen of Holland and I was a Helecopter Pilot bringing aid to the hungry and needing in Somalia.  We both had some good points but eventually I bit the bullet and jumped.. but only because as a pilot I had a parachute! 

I hope that this new time of studies will be a blessing to my other areas of work and that I will have opportunites to share God's love with my teacher and classmate. 



1 comment:

James' Blog said...

Feels a little different being a student again doesn't it?