Friday, March 23

40,000 sandwiches

Remember when Jesus preformed an incredible miracle for a hungry crowd?  He took  two fish and 5 loaves of bread, blessed them and broke them into pieces.  It not only feed the 5,000+ crowd but there were also baskets full of left overs!  Sounds like a lot of fish sandwiches to me.  But let me explain what has started me off on the 40,000 sandwiches spin... 

It started over a year ago as I began to pray about my future and where that would lead me.  Not the next year or two, but in life where was I headed.  That's a big question and for someone whose biggest commitment has been studying in university... it felt even heavier.  I had many options but no peace about taking any.  My initial two years of commitment ended with OM a year and a half ago and yet I continue without a plan.  I love working with OM and God has taught me so much in my time here.  The needs are enormous, but I feel so unprepared for the work that I am doing.  So I began to look for opportunities to study, but nothing seemed to fit.  I passed the deadline to make a decision and the pressure just increased.  Some told me to just decide and it would all work out.  But things have never worked that way in my life.  God has always shown me the next step since the time I started making decisions for myself.  I have never doubted my place and what I do because of that.    

After much searching and almost giving up on the idea, I came across the Masters of Science in Social Work at Abilene Christian University.  After talking with the director of the program and praying some more I began to put into action the idea of taking a 2 year study leave from OM to continue my studies.  I applied, they accepted me.  I am now in the process of applying for financial aid because here is where the 40,000 sandwiches come in... per year.   I am ready and willing to work for what I need to study but with this amount there is no way.  I also cannot go to school on loans as that would majorly delay my return to the mission field and Latin America.  So I am praying for a miracle!  I am praying that the fish and bread turns into an abundance shows God's glory!  And I want all of you to be in on this as well because God does amazing things!  


Already God has provided housing through my aunt and uncle who live in Abilene.  I am praying about transportation, medical insurance, classes and books.  It is an exciting experience trusting God for something so much bigger than I could reach myself.  Also just this week they informed me that there is one full scholarship available to someone applicable who is bilingual in English and Spanish.  It blows me away...  I will find out in May if I receive it for the Fall semester.  

Please pray for OM Ecuador and the Andean Region as there is still a large hole to fill in the area of Personnel.   I also help out with the logistics for our yearly Missions school, teaching classes, lead the hospital ministry and work with the youth on Santay.  It will not be easy leaving them even if for just a time. 




2 comments:

Noele Vogt said...

Tabita! That is awesome news! I think after we study we should go to South America together. I'm in the same boat...at schools and feeling quite discouraged amount the amount of "fish" required. But where there's a will, there's a way...especially if it's the Lord's will. Si o no? Bless you, sister.

Susan said...

it would be so awesome for Abba to provide you w/ that scholarship! but if He does not, He has another awesome plan! will be good to see you! blessings, susan condry