Tuesday, September 2

truth #1: Everyone rides bicycles in Holland!!

First, I must confess that I did not ride a bicycle the whole time I was in the Netherlands. Second, I did not get any pictures of the masses as they rode their bicycles. And third, if you ever travel to the Netherlands the bicycler gets the right of way over the person on foot. In other words MOVE OVER!

My time in Holland was rather limited to the scenery surrounding our conference center as I was in sessions most of the time. However on two different days I went out, once by van and the other by foot, to view the country. I saw several windmills including the one in this picture that is the second oldest windmill that is still in use. The flowers were absolutely beautiful though the tulips were not in bloom. For the most part I was quite impressed with the beauty in the Netherlands. One day I hope to return to see more of the country including Amsterdam. The people are quite friendly and many speak English.

This picture is of the quaint little town of Dalfsen. It was a Sunday afternoon when we visited so none of the shops were open. And the flower below is a passion flower. I found it one of the most unique flowers that I have ever seen! My English roommate was quick to tell me, however, that they have these all over England...

This finally brings me to the subject of the conference. It was great and provided me with so much information on joining a new culture. We had lots of hands on experiences and activities to see how we adjust to working and living with people from different cultures, with different values and even different languages. One of the most beneficial ways that I have learned about culture has been through my roommates. We came from four different coutries, cultures and languages (yes, British

English and American are very different!). Yet during the week we bonded in a very deep and special way. The pose that we are taking in the picture to the right is our mosquito catching pose. Everynight during our conference our British roommate was determined to kill every insect in the room (including the poor innocent moths!).

After two weeks of training and making new friends (and leaving the new friends), I think I am just about ready to head to my field. I will admit that it is a bit overwhelming right now to pack up my life into two bags and say goodbye to all my family and friends. There are still so many things to do before I leave. God has been teaching me a lot about rest during the past weeks. Rest and peace come from trusting completely in Him even when we are not certain of the future.


"The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace
because he trusts in You." Is 26:3


5 comments:

ErinW said...

LOVE it! I'm so glad to hear about everything and see your pictures!

You did a fabulous job!

katy said...

yo.

glad it was good. also glad to see that you will be blogging during your stay.

keep it up.
keep the faith.

katy

Darci Simpson said...

I love you and I am so glad you have this--so I can see what you are doing!
Miss you so much...

Dee

D.N.A.debnikialexis said...

hi i loved it

love
deborah

Lyndsay Holly said...

I'm super excited for you and all that you're gonna do! You're blogs are very entertaining...I'm def gonna be reading them while you're on the equator! (not just cuz you're entertaining though...)

Love ya!
Lynz