Monday, May 21

He looked at me and smiled

Just when you start to wonder if what you are doing really makes a difference something happens.  It happened for me last week when I was doing our normal weekly visit to the hospital.  I had been visiting with 8 year old Justin.  He had been moved about 10 days ago to an isolation room so I had to wear a mask to go in to visit him.  A couple of our volunteers looked a little scared about the fact that I was entering and encouraging them to do so as well.  Until I explained that we were not wearing the mask to protect ourselves but to protect Justin as his already weak body with an almost non-existent immune system had an infection in his blood.  Any small sickness could be fatal to him.  Ever since he moved into the isolation room Justin has not wanted to talk.  He smiles and giggles almost the whole time but not a word.  I wonder if has anything to do with be stuck for days in a room with someone who continually places the blame on you.

He has been there for 8 months now and his mom right alongside him.  It is understandable that she is sick of being there but I don't think she realizes the psychological effect that it is having on her son.  "Justin we are still here in this hospital because you won't eat!" "I'm so sick of being here and sleeping on the floor every night".  It is hard on the whole family it seems, but even more so on Justin.  The mom seemed to suddenly have a change of heart a couple weeks back and started being positive and smiling again.  We were not too surprised though as we had been praying for this exact thing to happen.  Justin too has changed, he has started to eat more on his own.  He moves around more and bring out his old school books to study.  I saw his old school pictures from when he was 4, 5 and 6.  He was so chubby and healthy looking.  So completely different from this little boy with a swollen stomach and his skin stretched over bone.  This is effects of the indiscriminate HI Virus. I caught myself despairing, wondering if it even makes a difference these few hours we can spend with them.   Then I saw him.

I couldn't tell you his name but I knew his face.  It was so familiar.  His eyes caught mine as I moved toward him and he smiled.   I did know him though something was different and he knew me too!  When I was in front of his bed he started speaking and already my brain registered this as something unusual, as I don't recall having a complete conversation with him before.  He was excited because once again there were guys with guitars here with us.  Then I knew, he was the little boy from the isolation room that was here in the summer of 2010.  He would always watch from the window as we would pass by with our coloring pages and guitar.  Thankfully our volunteers were not afraid to go into his room mask and all.  As he started telling me with a huge smile that he remembered the songs that were played and the love that we gave.  Then it hit me, love always has an effect.  Maybe it's  an effect that isn't measurable and that you cannot weigh, but it leaves an imprint. 

But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
1 Cor 13:13

Go give a little love!

3 comments:

Caezar R said...

Praise God! Thats very encourging to hear this, know that you and your team are always having a bigger impact on people's lives than your eyes can see. "Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us," Eph. 3:20

Finish well this last month and so, that you have left. May the Lord bless you with more direction and meet all your needs according to his riches!

Praying for your throat to be back to normal soon for your translation trip. :)

Randy and Tina said...

That is a very encouraging story. It is so important to realize that God can use our faithful service in ways we cannot even begin to imagine. Praying for your throat and voice. Looking forward to seeing you soon

http://Freddy%20Gonzalez.wordpress.com said...

Dear Tab, these are times when we feel that God is doing a perfect work trough us,... i am very sure that so many ecuadorians and others at all other countries that you have been visited to has been blessed by God´s grace in you...you will get back to your home being a different person because of God´s work in you, thanks for share a bit of the great things that God has let you experience everyday in this warmful land. Blessings at your next step and my dear Lord be always keeping you.